FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
ORG General Number – (614) 300-0529
Mary Jane Borden, ORG President
Tim Johnson, Ohio Cannabis Safety First, Founder and Senior Consultant
Date: March 28, 2016
SUBJECT: FINAL TASK FORCE HEARING – PRESS CONFERENCE
Media advisory for pre-hearing interviews – prestigious speakers to testify
(Columbus, OH): The last hearing by the Ohio House Medical Marijuana Task Force will be held on Thursday, March 31, 2016 in Room 313 at the Ohio Statehouse. The hearing will start at 3:00 pm.
Media Advisory – Press conference to be held prior to the hearing
Date: Thursday, March 31, 2016
Time: 1:30 pm
Where: Overflow Room across from Room 313 of the Ohio Statehouse
- Tara Cordle and son Waylon, to discuss Epidiolex® study trials. This cannabis-based drug recently completed Phase III clinical trials and may be pending introduction as an approved pharmaceutical medicine.
- Robert Kowalski of Green Fight Vets, to discuss Vets with PTSD. Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder is the main factor behind the estimated 22 suicides by military veterans that occur on a daily basis.
- Stan Gorski of Gorski Grows, to discuss “whole plant” and dosing. The therapeutic value of the whole cannabis plant may be larger than that of its individual cannabinoids like CBD.
- Mary Jane Borden, President of the Ohio Rights Group
- Tim Johnson, Founder and Senior Consultant, Ohio Cannabis Safety First
So far, at least fifty people, most of them proponents, have spoken before the Task Force about the benefits that will be derived from making medical marijuana legal in the State of Ohio. For the final hearing on Thursday, March 31st, the following individuals will be testifying at the behest of the Ohio Rights Group:
- Jahan Marcu, Ph.D. Chief Scientist/Auditor for Americans for Safe Access. Dr. Marcu develops training for Maryland and DC regulators to audit cannabis operations for compliance and quality control via the American Herbal Pharmacopeia. Considered the current standard in the United States, these regulatory guidelines have been adopted in 11 States to specifically address public health concerns regarding product safety. The standards are implemented through 3rd party organizations and include practices such as compliance or health and safety auditing.
- Irvin Rosenfeld. One of four remaining Federal Medical Cannabis Patients who, under a Compassionate IND (Investigational New Drug program), legally receives 300 medical marijuana cigarettes each month from the federal government. A stockbroker from Ft. Lauderdale, FL, Rosenfeld holds the unique distinction of being the longest survivor of this IND. Since 1982, he has received and smoked more than 120,000 cannabis cigarettes - 10 per day - to treat two rare disorders. He has testified before numerous state legislatures, including those for states that have legalized cannabis for medicinal purposes.
- Mary Jane Borden, President of the Ohio Rights Group and Victoria Khan, Board Member of the Ohio Rights Group.
The Ohio House Medical Marijuana Task Force was convened by State Representative Kirk Schuring (R-Canton) on January 28, 2016. Its purpose is to study the legalization of medical marijuana in Ohio by hearing live testimony from a cross spectrum of witnesses at seven meetings to be held in February and March. The 15-member Task Force has conducted six hearings so far. Task Force members come from a number of disciplines ranging from medical groups, to police associations and trade councils. Members also include representatives of the failed Responsible Ohio ballot initiative. Also representing state government are State Rep. Dr. Steve Huffman (R-Tipp City), State Rep. Dan Ramos (D-Lorain) and former Ohio attorney general Betty Montgomery.
The Ohio Rights Group is a non-partisan 501(c)(4) organization that advocates for the rights of Ohioans to make medical, therapeutic and industrial use of the Cannabis plant and supports the growing number of individuals, organizations and industries facilitating those uses.
Ohio Cannabis Safety First is an educational, safety/security awareness and training/consulting firm, specializing in the Cannabis Industry.
A PDF version of this press release can be found here.